Saturday, February 17, 2007

Milano

Hi Guys,

For some reason, the format of the blog is in italian right now. Hopefully this won't affect what I post.

It's been beautiful here in Florence and Italy lately. Not to rub it in, but I hear it's been snowy and near zero temps at home. We're comming in around 55 degrees daily, and today when I was walking around I went sans jacket, just a sweater. Very sunny and mild.

Last weekend our whole arch studio took an overnight trip to Milan, a.k.a. Milano. Upon arrival, I was desperate to find the Milano cookie factory, but someone informed me that they were probably made in the States back on the ol' Pepperidge Farm, so I soon gave up the pursuit.

Milan is about a 3.5 hour train ride north. It was a pretty pleasant ride, as we had our own reserved cabin of 6 people. We got there, and headed immediately to our hostel, which was quite nice as far as hostels go. After we dropped our things and washed up etc., and after I took a tripple dose of cough medicine, we got on the metro and went to this enormous architecture expo. Think home depot gone mad.

The exhibit was cool, and the complex it was in was cooler. It was based on this mile long linear walk, with people movers. Along the axis, were different buildings, like branches off the trunk of a tree. In each branch was a warehouse with different themes: construction materials, lighting, etc. I liked the building better than the exhibits, but it was fun regardless. I was coughing alot though because it was cold. Surprise.

We left, and headed back to the hostel for a rest and stuff. Then a bunch of us headed out to dinner. I thought it was a Chinese restaurant because we were talking about going to one, and everyone that worked there was Asian. I felt incredibly dumb and non p.c. when someone told me it was Italian, just with Asian waitstaff. The food was cheap, good, and very satisfying.

After dinner, most people headed out to meet our crit at the ice bar, a bar made completely out of ice. You pay 17 euro for a drink and these enormo silver cape-coats to stay warm. I opted out, because if I hacked up a lung during normal temperatures, I sure would just evict my whole insides coughing if I went. I'm sorry I missed out, as I hear out crit got a little 'silly', and beloved germ-freak Meredith licked a subway pole, but it was probably better I stayed behind. Plus, they have a larger one in Rome, so when we visit again, I'll be sure to pay it a visit.

The next day was fun. We trekked around Milan, and saw the architecture and sights. We were going to go into this post-war, rationalist museum, but the place and surrounding gardens was closed down. The day before they had found a bomb from World War II burried in the gardens. They were calling in the police to ensure that the little guy wouldn't explode and take all of Milan with it. Instead, we went to this huge medieval castle that Napoleon had used as a barracks, and to the Duomo of Milan. The Duomo is a large gothic church. It's rare to find the gothic style in Itlay, because it never really took off there. But because Milan is so close to the rest of Europe, it took a liking to it and built this incredible cathedral. It looked like one of those drip-sand castles where you pour water mixed with sand into peaks. Very intricate and sculptural. In front of the Duomo, the boys tried to kick the pigeons, which has become an pastime. Bryan apparently got his foot on two of them. I like the pigeons. They are interesting because they are this little animal that depends entirely on the man-made city. Sure they are flying rats, but I like them.
All in all, the trip was pretty uneventful, but nonetheless fun and oh so educational. Oh, and I saw the first ever Prada store.

I rencently bought a pair of bronze nike sneakers with velcro and a red swoosh. I bought them at footlocker here, and I only bought them because people keep telling me I can't walk around in my smelly old mocassins (which I wear daily, rain or shine, so they were worth every cent.) It's true they are not so good in the rain, and yes, they are a bit unsupportive, but I hate wearing sneakers for everyday walking. I feel so touristy wearing them. I can't rock the sweet sneakers and tight tapered jeans like the Itlian girls here. I'm not so sporty/trendy. I do like the boots, but I'm having trouble finding a pair I enjoy. Anyway, so I bought these bronze kicks and have decided I don't want them because they have a likeness to bowling shoes. So now I am stuck with an 80 euro credit at footlocker because they don't do returns. Yes, they were 80 euro and that is incredibly cheap for sneakers here. I am so picky about sneakers anyway. Oh man, I just went on a rant about shoes. Forgive me. But now you know some of the daily woes I concern myself with.

Our first project for studio is due soon. We're supposed to redo the Piazza di Cestello. Currently, it is a parking lot in front of the San Frediano church. The premise is we have to take out the cars, and make it so that's it better, generally, and so that it can accomodate a temporary book market. Normally, this would be a fabo project. It's light, and fun, and etc. However, when you are in Italy, you don't want to do anything that requires time away from being out in Florence. You fall into the Italian lifestyle of take-it-easy far too easily.

Alright, time to pump out a site model for San Frediano. Should be loads of fun.

No comments: